Hacks to honor your cravings...
Did you know that our bodies are hard-wired to prefer sweeter treats, from birth? Sugar and Carbohydrates stimulate the release of the feel-good brain chemical serotonin. In addition, sugar releases endorphins when it hits our taste buds. No wonder we keep coming back for more!
- Replace simple carbs with complex carbohydrates: Instead of starting your morning off with white bread toast or cereal, replace it with fruit, whole-wheat bread or Oats. Be sure to add fats into your first meal of the day such as avocado or nuts. This causes a slow release of carbohydrates. That ensures then, that you do not have a sugar spike.
- Find some lower calorie alternatives: Sometimes, the best way to "cure" a craving is to give into it. If you want lower calories, opt for lower calorie bars that still satisfy your sweet tooth. The best finds include: FutureLife Lite High Protein Bar, Rice Krispie mini treat, De Villiers chocolate and the Sugar Lean brand. These brands are all available at Dis-Chem, Checkers and Spar. If all else fails, buy a quality dark chocolate bar (80% and more).
- Pack on the Protein: It has been proven that protein reduces cravings and keeps you fuller for longer. It is also one of the most important macronutrients. Our YML Collagen Protein shake has 22.5 grams of protein per serving! Add it to a fruit smoothie for a sweet treat that will benefit your body.
- Eat Regularly: Often when we don't eat regularly or not in satsifying quantities, our body will crave more calorie dense (often sugar laden) foods. Combat this by having 3 big meals a day and 2 snack portions. These can include yogurt and fruit, smoothies, shakes, protein bars, etc. Also ensure that you get adequate fiber with every meal as this increases that full feeling. Ps: ALWAYS get 2 liters of water in per day.
- Probiotics for the WIN: Probiotics are in charge of your gut- and digestive health. Often times, sugary foods, lack of fiber and antibiotics destroy those healthy gut bacteria. This can cause a gut imbalance and reduce optimal food absorption (leaving you wanting more and more). Get a probiotics supplement such as Rawbiotics (https://efficientmicrobes.co.za/product/rawbiotics-gut-500ml/). Also available at Dis-Chem.